Friday, May 8, 2009

Well, It’s No ‘Project Runway’

Like many faithful viewers of ‘Project Runway’, I was devastated when I first learned that the show was moving to Lifetime. Sure Heidi, Tim, Nina, Micheal Kors and the quirky contestants would be making the move as a whole but it wouldn’t be on Bravo. It just won’t be the same on Lifetime! I love a good Lifetime drama every now and then but they’re not exactly known for their reality series. In my mind, reality has always been Bravo’s niche from ‘Top Chef’ to ‘Millionaire Matchmaker’ or the ‘Housewives’ series. So whose brilliant idea was it to sell one of their best shows to Lifetime? Guess I’ll be tuning into Lifetime a lot more now, that is, once they get the court mess sorted out.

Having accepted that the move was a done deal, I was a bit ambivalent when I learned that Bravo was premiering ‘The Fashion Show’ (Thursdays at 10 pm), obviously to replace ‘Project Runway.’ I was skeptical that it could compete but I was curious to see their concept. First, Isaac Mizrahi and Kelly Rowland (of Destiny’s Child) serve as hosts, judges, and mentors rolled into one. I get Isaac as a choice (he could serve as a stand-in for Michael Kors) but what qualifies Kelly as a fashion judge. Bravo must have anticipated this line of thinking because in one of her first sentences she explains that she’s sat in the front row of many fashion shows for the past eight years. That would mean that anyone who attends fashion shows could have filled that role but I’m not going to judge (anymore than I already have). I expected Isaac to be colorful but Kelly surprised me with her candor. Still, she’s no Heidi and this is no ‘Project Runway’. Fern Mallis rounds out the panel of regular judges and I’m biased but she definitely does not have Nina’s eye for the smallest detail.

Second, instead of contestants presenting their garments solely for the judges’ viewing, ‘Fashion Show’ features an audience of industry people (including Elie Tahari who served as guest judge) who have the opportunity to give their opinion about what they liked and disliked. A brilliant idea actually. But the catchphrase “we’re not buying it” is not as eloquent as “you’re out” (in Heidi voice) followed by “auf Wiedersehen.” And then there’re the contestants. Many colorful characters have passed through ‘Project Runway’ over the entire history of the show but ‘Fashion Show’ seems to have recruited every weirdo that they could find. There’s Merlin the over-the-top, arrogant jerk who you’ll either hate or hate (yes, I said hate twice- no mistake). And James-Paul (the challenge winner) for whom the term creepy is apt. And the fabulous Reco (who I predict will win fan favorite) and Kristin (I think that’s her name) the girl who can’t sew. But as a whole, this group definitely knows their fashion and I can see myself coming to enjoy the show. So while ‘Fashion Show’ does not have the panache that ‘Project Runway ‘does, fashion is fashion and who am I kidding, weird people make for great TV. For those reasons I will be tuning in every week.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl I agree. Something about Project Runway being on the Lifetime network makes it seem old and Farty (in the words of Michael Kors). I agree that the Fsahion show cast does not have the panish of it's predessor but I think overtime it will improve and the contestants look a hot damm mess. Can't wait to catch an episode!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...