Friday, May 22, 2009

Nothing to Read

I’ve run out of books to read and need a good book recommendation. In the meantime, I’m rereading a light summer book that I reviewed a year ago. Of all the books that I have reviewed over the last year, this is the only one that I can unequivocally say that I liked. It’s called Lovehampton (see my review) and yes, it is chick lit. I am not at all ashamed that I often indulge in books kindly referred to as “women’s fiction.” Works by Emily Giffin are smartly written and are a particular favorite. I am sure that I offend many of my colleagues in the library world by admitting to this fondness for “women’s fiction” (I'm not even going to touch on my list of favorite romance authors) but I know that I am among good company. They are popular for a reason and often relatable and very entertaining. Of course, I wouldn't dare limit myself to a single genre. I also read memoirs, historical novels, biographies, self-help and more—usually based on recommendations though. Ann Patchett’s Bel Canto is possibly one of the best books I’ve ever read (thanks C) and I am open to trying more books written in the same vein. I have this lofty idea that I will one day read all of the great books but I’m in no real hurry to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...