Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Glee - OK

So, Glee (season 2) premiered on Fox last night and it was just okay for me. A little pitch problem (Randy Jackson voice). Okay, just kidding but it really wasn’t as good as I remembered it being from last season. As a general rule, I will watch almost anything that involves some singing (a la Broadway) but with last season’s success I’ve come to expect a bit more from Glee. So why wasn’t I thrilled? I can’t quite put my finger on it. I do remember thinking that the ‘New Directions dude’ did not blow me away with his singing (after that lead-in about his legendary status) but I did like the harmony between his and Rachel’s voice (or maybe I just love duets). Also, Rachel was a bit much with the drama queen bit. And, the whole feeling of betrayal on the part of the choir when Rachel finally got a boyfriend, well, a bit of an overreaction no? Although, it is pretty plain to see that things will not end well for Ms. Drama Queen in that regard- a good enough reason to keep watching. I liked the idea of building a theme around a single word, hello (kinda clever if you think about the fact that it’s the first episode after a long break), and I loved the cameo by Idina Menzel (I still think that she is Rachel’s doppleganger) and I can’t wait to hear her bust one out! So my verdict, Glee got off to an okay start with some potentially interesting story lines and room for improvement. I’ll keep watching.

4 comments:

  1. I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. I was ok. Idina was fantastic, and I look forward to seeing more of her. Neil Patrick Harris later in the season? Yes please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides the singing, one other thing Glee does well is cameos. Can't wait to see who they'll have on this season. And yes, it does look like Idina will be around for a while. They must let her sing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It felt like last night's episode had a ton of singing in it - more than usual, at least. I really hate that they pushed the teacher and the counselor (I'm terrible with names) together and then broke them up so quickly. Why bother putting them together in the first place? I hate the back and forth dating crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True re: the singing- and not the best songs either! If Mr. Shuester and the counselor were really happy together, there wouldn't be much of a storyline there. They have the whole season to get back together :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...