Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Really Wanted to LOVE Glee

I’ve been humming the melody to “Don’t Stop Believing” ever since I saw the teaser for the new Fox Series, Glee, a few weeks ago. It looked like it would have several of the things I like: comedy, quirky characters, and lots of singing. Not since the premier of Ugly Betty had I been this excited about a new show. But alas, Glee doesn’t deliver on what it promised in the teaser and I think the root of the problem lies in it being too much.

There were definitely some things I liked about Glee:
1. There is that one girl who adds a gold start every time she signs her name (center) who reminds me a bit of Idina Menzel from Wicked and Rent (Taye Diggs' wife). I definitely see some diva quality in this character.
2. Some of the minor characters—cheerleading coach, football coach, principal—were interesting, if one-note, and I see entertainment potentional in them.
3. The musical selections were agreeable (who doesn’t love vintage Journey?) and the closing performance was nice and heart-warming (the kids can actually sing and have great harmony.)

I just don’t know if these few things are enough to entice me to invest an entire season of TV-watching time. Plus, there were things that I didn’t like:
1. The incessant humming throughout multiple scenes was beyond annoying. As much as the show would like to have the feel of theater, it’s just not there.
2. Aside from the Idina clone, the main characters as a whole are unexciting. Factor in the other dry, overly-neurotic, one dimensional characters and the lights dim a little more.
3. I’m not opposed to having multiple viewpoints featuring first-person narratives. I’ve experimented with the method myself and see the benefits of it providing insight into the psyche of several characters in an ensemble cast such as this but it doesn’t seem to be effective here. Or rather, I’m not feeling it! Character development might be better accomplished through dialogue between characters rather than through monologues.
4. Finally, Glee tries too hard to be entertaining and in my opinion, it fails.

Now, I’m not going so far as to write the show off completely. There are several shows that didn’t impress me out the gate but later grew on me. In fact, even if I don’t watch an entire episode, I’m amenable to tuning in for at least the last few minutes. If my predictions are correct, they’ll have a performance every week and that at least is worth seeing.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this show sounds terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll give anything that involves singing/theater a try so although I think it was bad, I'm going to stop short of calling it terrible- but only just.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...