Thursday, April 9, 2009

Those Darn Doctors

I’m really starting to hate medical doctors. I don’t think I can say that about any other profession as a whole, except maybe the police (and this is more of a holdover from my teenage years than for any other reason). I have very little respect for people who take advantage of their positions and treat the rest of us as though we’re insignificant. My one exception would be dentists but maybe that’s because I’ve been fortunate to pick ones who are pleasant and who I actually like beyond the service they provide. My previous dentist who I had to give up due to a change in my insurance coverage still inquires about my well-being over two years later. I think what I liked most about him is that he took the time to explain every recommended procedure, he never passed me off to his assistants for the most basic of procedures, and I never felt as though I didn’t have his complete attention. He wasn’t particularly extroverted but I wasn’t seeing him so that we could be friends. We were well suited. I can’t say this of my experience with any medical doctor.

Two particularly annoying experiences stand out (there are quite a few) where I was made to wait a few hours to see the doctor and then that meeting was the briefest part of my visit. The first was over a year ago where the doctor actually interrupted his examination of me to take a 10-15 minutes phone call all while having the door cracked with me laying practically naked on the examining table. The second was much more recent but no less a waste of time. This time the doctor’s cavalier attitude during the two minutes he saw me was more than I could take. Both times I couldn’t help but voice my displeasure, which I’m glad I did but I wish I had gone with my instinct and left the first few times I felt the urge to. It would have been one less regret.

Thinking back on it, maybe there’s something to the fact that all of these disappointing visits were with male doctors. Should men even be the type of doctors who treat female problems? Whatever it is, I’ve had enough of male doctors for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...