Monday, April 13, 2009

If Bourdain or Zimmern Will Eat It, I Probably Won’t

I spent a fun evening relaxing with friends the other day. The conversation was good, the ambiance amenable and the food…questionable. The fact that I couldn’t read the name over the door of the restaurant (it’s written with Japanese character) should have been a hint that the menu would be beyond anything that I’m used to. I admit to being a bit of a coward when it comes to trying food that can be described as “interesting”. In my opinion, bull testicles, frogs, and eel are not compatible with the human digestive system (the finished, cooked products doesn’t look so bad-- see link below-- but still not buying it). Quail is borderline safe but still iffy. Anyway, there they all were on the menu. They weren’t an option for my dinner choice but squid seemed safe enough and I gave in gracefully to K. I mean, I grew up eating curried (and sometimes raw) octopus (which I like) and that’s practically the same as a squid. So you’d think barbecue squid would be to my liking. Not so much. A little too much bite and I can just imagine that the squid still had a little kick left it in when it was plated. My gag reflex didn’t kick in and I can’t say that it was the worst thing that I have ever eaten but it’s almost guaranteed that I won’t be trying it again.

So what did I get? I went way beyond safe by ordering vegetable dumplings and fried chicken. I’ll make more of an effort to venture beyond my comfort zone next time because I’m finding that everything goes down smoother with a glass of wine.


Takeaways/To Do:
Learn to eat with chopsticks
Give sushi a second try
Find recipe for sangria

Just for fun: Testicles cooking preparation video

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...