Wednesday, June 9, 2010

TV Round-Up: “Glee”, “Huge”, "Drop Dead Diva"

Glee's season finale aired last night and I have to say, I loved every minute of it. I loved every performance and was particularly touched by the last two songs from students to teacher and the one from Shuester to his students (I particularly like this version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel "IZ" KamakawiwoÊ»ole ever since I first heard it during an episode of Cold Case). Undoubtably, this season has had it's ups (Idina Menzel) and downs and I haven’t always been pleased with the song choices or the cast’s rendition of them (ex. “One” - hated it!) But last night I was not at all disappointed. I’m a child of the 80s so having the New Directions group perform a Journey mash-up was the way to go to hook me. Frankly, pretty much any pop/rock/easy listening songs that came out in the late 70s through the 80s is A-okay with me. But Journey is definitely one of my favorites. I didn’t mind the set performed by Vocal Adrenaline either (I can see how they could have won). And although I didn’t like Jesse’s voice too much the first time that I heard him sing, I ‘m taking a second look after last night. Santana is another one who has been steadily growing on me. To me, Rachel’s voice tends to get whiny at times and Mercedes is the diva with the big voice but characters like Santana, Puck, and Tina continue to draw me in with their rich unique sounds. I really liked that everyone got a chance to showcase their voices in the finale and I look forward to seeing what's in store for next season.

While watching Glee, I happened to look up long enough between commercials to notice that ABC Family is premiering a new show, Huge. Gee, I wonder what this one is all about? And who else but Nikki Blonsky would star in it. I seem to recall a lifetime movie that was based on a similar premise-accepting yourself for who you are beneath the surface and so on -and you know who was the star there as well. But I’m not complaining. I happen to like these type of shows, where you know that everything will be okay in the end, and I actually think that Nikki is a good choice to play the lead. Will it be a good show? I don’t know but I’m hoping.

I haven’t gotten around to watching the complete premiere episode of Lifetime’s Drop Dead Diva as yet but what I saw during the first ten minutes is causing me to pause. Seriously! An impromptu song-and-dance number featuring Paula Abdul? Is that how they really want to start the season off? I’ve heard Jane sing in past episodes and why not, old girl has a good voice. But seeing it in this episode, the whole dream sequence in the food court strikes me as just a tad…cheesy. Here’s hoping the rest of the episode is better than the first ten minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I need to check out those last two shows, and YES, Glee was on POINT last night, enjoyed every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It emded on a good note. No complaints on my end :) Any speculations for next season? I think they tried to throw a couple things in there with all the professions of love etc. Anything beyond that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished watching the last episode of Glee and although I am bummed that they won't be coming back for a few months, I can't say that the finale did it for me. It's like sex with your spouse (you might not have came, but at least their not cheating on you). I dunno... Sue Sylvester is the one character that never disappoints. I didn't care much for the song from students to teacher (maybe cuz I've never heard it b4) but that moment where they got a shot of Sue Sylvester fighting back tears in the back of the auditorium... I got choked up. And I liked how Sue Sylvester keeps surpising us with her tender side without losing her edge. Her showing kindness to the glee club and then excusing it by saying it's cuz she'd miss making fun of Mr Shu's hair was classic. All in all, I give the season finale of Glee, a solid B-. And I think that's being kind. Glee as a show is not even really that great. The storylines are often weak and seem to be thrown together just as an excuse to sing a particular song. The musical numbers are good at times and not so good other times. I think they are overdoing it with Rachel. Not EVERY song should feature her as the lead vocal. Not only because I'm tired of listening to her, but also because sometimes her voice doesn't sound appropriate for it. The beginning of the first season was the best I've seen from the show with all its love triangles and deceitful wives pretending to be pregnant, etc. It was almost a dark-comedy. I wish Glee would return to its roots and bring back some of that rich, dark humor that captured my attention to begin with and let go of this obsession with cheesy musical numbers staring Lea Michele!

    Predictions for next season:
    Quinn will abandon her new BFF, Mercedes, and rejoin the Cheerios.
    Fin and Rachel will have an intense romance that will distract Rachel from her perfection rituals and they will break up so she can focus on her goals. But then they will get back together and become the power couple of the school.
    Puck and Quinn will date, but then break up when Puck cheats on her again.
    Rachel will continue to sing lead in ALL the songs.
    Mercedes will get a new hot black boyfriend who is on the football team (please! if only...then maybe she'll get more lines and we'll actually see her as more than a one-sided character)
    The dancing Asian dude and the Black guy will actually have some lines...
    There will be new members added to the Glee club (maybe one that can out-sing Rachel)
    Mr Shu and Emma will finally have sex!!!
    Santana and the blonde girl will make out.

    I totally wrote and encyclopedia in your comment box. I'm going to make this into an article and post it on associated content. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great insight! I agree with you on a few points. First, I totally believe that episodes are thrown together around certain songs that seem to fit a certain theme (ex. songs about saying "Hello" for the season premiere.) Sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't. I find that I feel more kindly towards particular episodes when I like the songs and the cast's rendition of them. That was the case last night, hence the reason I liked the finale.
    Second, Sue Sylvester continues to be one of my favorite part of the show and I now realize that I completely glossed over her role in talking solely about the singing in my post. Shame on me! And finally Rachel. There was a moment last night when I wondered out loud if Rachel and Finn really had to sing ALL of the solo parts. I do get tired of her and I think that's why I liked that the others got a chance to sing as well.
    I definitely think there's a chance that they might bring in a fresh voice (just like they did with Jesse this season) and I hope that they do. I would love for Mercedes to have a boyfriend and to see more of her sassy side but with a cast like that I don't think she will be speaking anymore next season than she has in the past two.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...