Friday, September 4, 2009

Proud Nevisian

In honor of Labor Day Weekend, I'd like to take a moment to share some memories about my hometown, Nevis W.I. Nevis is a tiny island (36 square miles) located in the Caribbean. Along with a group of other smaller islands, it comprises the Lesser Antilles and is near the southernmost tip of the Caribbean. I fondly remember eating saltfish and dumplings, johnnycakes. Buying a bread and cheese sandwich or a bun and cheese sandwich for lunch from Rose. Or sweets from Ms. Williams' store. Running to catch the bus to get to school. Sneaking into the neighbor's yard with my brother to lounge around in fruit trees and sample the goods. And running for our lives when the groundskeeper discovered us and chased us with a machete. Laying under a branch of a guava tree outside my uncle's home. Soursop. Sugar Apple. Custard Apple. Guinip. Tamarind. Annual trip to the gut to pick mangoes. Making mudcakes underneath our house. Playing cricket. Sports Day. My grandmother. Going to the beach almost every weekend (though I still can't swim). Going to beach after dark one night to see the crabs make their migration. Octopus. Shellfish. My extended family and childhood friends. And so many more memories. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've visited that I don't think my childish memories will do it justice if I try to tell you about the island itself. So, check out this link and see why I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Nevisian...girl if I didn't know you. I would've been like,"What the HELL is that!!"

    Is getting chased by a machete common in the neck of the woods..what happened to tree branches.

    Well after reading that I am looking for some fruit, seafood, and the beach.

    Have a good one girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I didn't end up doing much but it was relaxing. And no, being chased by a man weilding a machete is not all that common- we were just lucky to have him as a neighbor. Ironically, he got his leg caught in a trap and had to have it amputated.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...