Monday, July 13, 2009

From PC to Mac?

I’ve always been a PC person. I’ve never really been tempted to use a Mac over a PC and given the choice between the two, I’ve always chosen PC. I have nothing against Macs but I am most familiar with the PC interface so it makes sense that I would make it my choice. However, that might be about to change.

I’ve owned a Sony VAIO for close to five years and for the most part, have enjoyed it very much. When I can get a decent connection (often) it runs very fast and the graphics are great. There have been many minor issues involving my VAIO but I can only think of one MAJOR problem: the ac adapter input (and the input jack) unraveled making it hard to charge the PC. However, that problem was resolved with (costly) repair to the input jack (although it shows sign of reverting to its previous state over time) and purchase of a new AC adapter. Sony is not exactly known for extensive battery life so I could not ignore the problem if I wanted to use my PC for any length of time. There was also one or two times when I could only see a black screen even though the PC had completely powered up. However, I chalk this up to lack of use over several months (before the abovementioned repairs) as the problem seems to have corrected itself. But every time a new problem crops up, the thought that I need a new computer would inevitably follow. The latest incident (last week) involved liquid and I was in a frenzy to quickly find its replacement because I was sure that my computer would not recover from that one. But within a couple days, it did. Still, I am pressing on with my search for my next computer.

Among the computers I looked at and am considering are: Toshiba Satellite, Dell Studio, HP Pavilion, and Apple MacBook Pro. By far, the MacBook Pro is my favorite due to its sleek design, extensive battery life (~8 hours), and numerous features. Before I knew anything about it, I wanted it at first sight. It is the only one of the listed four that I wanted to take home with me with few reservations. So what’s holding me back? The cost for one. At over $2000, it is definitely not something that I would buy on impulse- I can wait a few months for the price to drop (hopefully). Another thing that worries me is the fact that the battery is built into the computer and so not easily switched out. Also, I am not familiar with the Mac interface so finding my way around it has not been the easiest task. But I can learn to adjust. And considering all of the problems that I’ve endured with my PC, these are truly minor issues. I am definitely leaning towards making the switch from PC to Mac but the decision is far from made. I’m open to suggestions either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...