Thursday, June 24, 2010

Music Gripes: Introducing Michael Franti & Spearhead

Why haven’t I heard about Micheal Franti & Spearhead until about a week ago? As repetitive as I think Pandora radio is sometimes, they occasionally surprise me and introduce me to artists that I hadn’t heard about before. Such was the case when I first heard Micheal Franti’s Say Hey (I Love You) for the first time. When the tunes first started straining through my earpiece, I remember unlocking my phone so that I could see the info and commit the artist name and song title to memory for future listening. I was instantly captivated and as soon as I could, I took to YouTube in hopes of finding more by this “new artist”. There, I was rewarded in the form of another great song, Nobody Right Nobody Wrong and still I want to hear more. But why haven’t I heard about him before now? He’s fresh, interesting, soulful and more, basically everything that translates into good music. And, he’s been making those soulful tunes for about twenty years! From the way that Micheal explains it in a Billboard interview, he and his band adopted a grassroot approach where they took to the streets and brought their music directly to the people. And slowly but surely, the word is spreading one person at a time. I, for one, am happy that it’s finally reached me (consider this post as my effort to pass it on) and for the first time in a long time, I am contemplating buying CDs again.

2 comments:

  1. never heard of him before either! nice vibes, perfect for Summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine, there are so many good artists out there that we know nothing about. It boggles the mind!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...