Monday, April 19, 2010

Volcanic Disruptions

There is a saying that when we make plans, God is somewhere laughing at us. This is proven true every time there is a natural disaster, and most recently with the eruption of the Eyjafjalljoekull volcano in Iceland. In the past, I’ve always been slightly removed from these disasters, from the earthquakes in Haiti, China, Chile, tsunami in Thailand, mudslide in Uganda, various hurricanes in New Orleans and throughout the Caribbean, among other deadly natural disasters. But the volcanic ash that is spreading across Europe may just put a major crimp in my travel plans. I really can’t, in good conscience, gripe about this though or about any issue where safety is the main concern.

After spending copious numbers of hours planning my next adventure, booking a flight, finding a hotel, planning activities, and packing, I now have to face the fact that I may (just maybe) have to settle for a stay-cation as time continues to creep closer with little change in the situation. I’ve been keeping a close eye on the updates of airports closing and re-opening across Europe and chances are good that I may get to my destination, but slightly later than I need to be there (I always knew my habit of cutting things close would one day come back to bite me). But a change to vacation plans isn’t the worst that can happen right? There are thousands of people who are stuck in foreign countries where they don’t speak the language, are low on funds having come to the end of their vacations, are lacking the medicine they need to survive, or those who spent days traveling by cars, trains, ferry— any way they could— just so they could make it home. There are cash-poor nations whose very survival depends on the goods they are able to export to Europe and small farmers who have to watch helpless as their livelihood go to waste. Although, I do think it’s right that the European transport ministers are erring on the side of caution, despite the frustrations that it incites in many. Again, better safe than sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...