Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fashion Gripes: Choice Accessories

I learned a tangible truth not too long ago. It was a lesson that as a former fashion student I should have learned long ago. But even as a student, I was more interested in prints and bright, funky colors than in anything else. Sure I could help someone else pull a fierce look together but I often stopped short of pushing the boundaries of fashion when it came to my own appearance. Make no mistake, I was no fashion slob! I knew what looked good on me and I knew when it was time to switch out the clothes that I was hanging on to in the vain hope of losing the pounds that I gained over the years. So how could I completely miss out on the fact that it’s not only about what the clothes look like or how the hair is flowing but also the choice of accessories that pull a look together?

I’ve always been a fan of belts and shoes but not so much so of jewelry. Part of this stems from the fact that I had a habit of losing things so when I would receive pricey bracelets or the like as presents, it seemed safer to leave them at home in my jewelry box. Also, I was more into small, tasteful jewelry- the kind you can wear with any outfit- so I am truly surprise at how much fun I’m having playing with dangly earrings and chunky bracelets and selecting the right pieces to go with whatever look I’m trying to achieve on a given day. By far, my favorite piece of accessory is the headband. I can no longer visit a store and leave without first checking out the hair accessories and over the past few months, I’ve amassed several funky finds. Headbands are definitely deeply intertwined with my overall look. Of course, it all started with the hair. When I first made the decision to transition to a more natural state, headbands felt like a necessity to cover unsightly roots. Now that I’m all the way natural, it’s all about the fashion. I wonder where else my hair journey will lead me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...