Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Travel Gripes: Italy is Calling…Still!

Today I listened in as two men talked about their respective vacations to Italy. Their enjoyment could not be mistaken. I also had a brief conversation about my desire to visit Italy with someone who’s been there at least eight times. The advice that I received from my conversation partner wasn’t just to go but to hurry up and go. And, when I arrived at the library a short while later the When in Rome DVD was one of the first movies that I noticed. These things all happened in quick succession and I’m starting to think that these are signs that it’s time for me to make my dream of visiting Italy a reality.

I have been yearning to visit Italy for several years. I came close last year. I planned every details and presented them to the two friends who would be traveling with me for their approval. But when it was time for us to actually purchase tickets for our flights they both backed out (I was not happy about that: Grounded Traveler). And somehow, I found myself in California instead. Italy vs. California- there’s really no comparison and while I had a relaxing trip, I might have enjoyed my visit to California more if I hadn’t been thinking that I should be in Italy the entire time that I was there. But I managed to suck it up and decided that this year would be the year. I would make it to Italy even if I had to travel with a bunch of strangers. So, again, I researched the various tour groups, read the reviews, scoped out the selected hotels and as much as I tried to find a package that was in my budget and that suited me and the experience that I sought, I couldn’t submit myself to pay for a tour that did not meet the meager standards that I had set for it. Too much time on a bus, visits to tourist traps and stays in crappy hotels are not my idea of a good time. I might have been a bit more melancholy about the fact that I still have yet to make it to Italy if the opportunity to visit Spain hadn’t come up and if I hadn’t had such a great time there . But Italy is never far from my mind and at times I ponder what’s really holding me back from just picking up and going once and for all.

I would have said that having travel partners is a big part of why I haven’t ventured too far away but since Spain, I’m beginning to realize that solo travel is not as scary as I had imagined. I still believe that a good travel partner adds to the experience but it is no longer a requirement for me. And what about the time? And cost? Those are very real barrier, time more so than cost. While I am willing to sacrifice in other areas (clothes, entertainment etc.) when I am presented with travel opportunities, there is just not enough time (time off from work to be more specific) to see all the places that I want to see. I'm evidence of societal conditioning at work because I do believe that security is something to strive for so leaving my job to travel the world for extended periods of time is not something that I am considering at this stage. Unfortunately, my travel plans will have to fall within the confines of my PTO days. But I like to think that I use my time well. I don’t have enough vacation days to see Italy the way that I want to this year so it is once again back at the top of my list for next year. I believe that things work out the way that they are supposed to and with my upcoming milestone next year, I’ll have even more incentive to ensure that I finally make it to Italy!

2 comments:

  1. So many times I've made plans to go places and do things and people just flopped on me. I decided that what I wanted was something I had to do by myself and it's scary because your friends are people who support you and you feel safe with. Travelling alone can be scary as hell but I bit the bullet and did a month and a week long trip to Europe. I was taking a course so I did meet a lot of people but in the beginning I was solo and shocked by how not scary it was too. Taking the leap was definitely the hardest part for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I actually found it less scary than I thought it would be on my first day in Spain but like you, I was doing a program and had a lot of opportunities to meet people and make friends. Going away completely on my own is diferent but I feel better prepared for it than I was a year ago. I would love for a friend or two to join me when I do go but I am prepared to go on my own if necessary.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...