Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Over My Limit But Under Control

I have never been drunk a day in my life. I’ve been pleasantly buzzed and a little bit tipsy on several occasions but never drunk. I am happy that I can continue to make that claim but it was a near thing, and at a work related event no less.

Last night, the law librarians association of which I am a member held its annual meeting at a wonderful locale (river view, park vistas). Very nice! As a committee co-chair, I had responsibilities to fulfill beyond the usual socializing/networking. But I didn’t allow myself to think about them when I grabbed my first glass of red wine off the tray of a passing server as soon as I arrived and proceeded to smash a cream-filled appetizer into my jacket. Or when I spilled my nearly empty second glass on my hand and on the floor a mere minute before I saw my co-chair walking to the front of the room and realized that our names had just been called. That’s right, we were expected to speak to a room filled with close to 200 of our peers and I was a mess! But thankfully, I didn’t realize it at the time. I just knew that I was ready for anything and that whatever was coming out of my mouth seemed to make sense to the crowd I was facing despite the jumble in my head. I'm sure that we could have improved on execution but it looks like we got effort covered.

There is something to be said about the power of alcohol. I can give a good speech if I really know my topic and practice ahead of time but knowing that doesn’t make me like doing it any more. While last night’s audience was much larger than any other that I’ve faced in the past, the speech was also the shortest that I’ve ever been expected to give. Basically, I didn’t have to memorize anything- just make sure I mention a few things. But after a couple glasses of wine, the warmth in my tummy was spreading all over and it all seemed like it would be a piece of cake. I was buzzed. And with my third glass, lots of giggling, flirting, and declarations about having had too much to drink, I realized that I was moving towards tipsy. One more and I would have been drunk but the sensible part of my brain refrained and got me on my way home. Nobody wants to see a drunken me, least of all me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...